Apparently when governments declared lockdown and strict isolation laws, what they really meant was QUICK – get to your supermarket, get the ripest bananas you can find and start baking.
Yep, we’re talking healthy banana bread. Whilst it’s not clinically proven to treat COVID-19 symptoms, it does taste yum, and that’s all that really matters!
Okay, you will need a few more ingredients than just bananas but the rest are staple pantry items, so let’s get to it!
Makes: 1 Loaf
• 5 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
• ½ cup honey or pure maple syrup
• 1 ¾ cup mashed ripe banana (about 5 medium bananas)
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups white whole wheat flour, or regular whole wheat or all-purpose flour, or ground oats, or almond meal!!
• OPTIONAL – toppings such as chia seeds, strawberries, extra bananas, choc chips or walnuts.
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
2.Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
3.Melt the butter (or coconut oil) in a large glass bowl in the microwave.
4.Add the honey (or maple syrup) and mashed banana to the bowl and whisk to combine.
5.Whisk in the eggs.
6.Add the baking soda, salt, cinnamon and vanilla to the bowl. Whisk until well combined.
7.Add the flour (or other alternative) and fold into the mixture using a spatula. Try not to over mix!
8.OPTIONAL – add topings such as chia seeds, strawberries, extra bananas, choc chips, blueberries or walnuts.
9.Transfer the batter to the prepared baking tin. Bake for 55-60min.
10.Insert a skewer into the loaf to test if ready. If it comes out clean – it’s ready!
11.Let the bread cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
Now sit back on your couch and enjoy your delicious, healthy banana bread!